Cardinals Soar Over the Eagles; 2-1 Going into Break

Brigid J. Ripley

Freshman Natalie Knaack flys by a Solon Springs player during the December 15th game.

Signe Branham, Editor-in-Chief

On Friday, December 15th, the girl’s basketball team faced the Solon Springs at home for their third conference game of the season.  They stood at 1-1 in the conference, with a win against the Mellen Granite Diggers at home, and a loss to the Ironwood Red Devils away.  The match-up was certain to be a tough one.

The game began a 7:00 p.m.  The Cardinals came out strong, starting in a new press that they would continue to use for the rest of the game. Energy was high; the Cardinals stayed close to the Eagles with a score of 22-26, Eagles up, at the half.

The Cardinals came out strong in the second half, scoring a basket right off the bat.  They overwhelmed the Eagles in the second half, scoring a remarkable 42 points in the second, while the Eagles walked away with 24.  This put the final score at 64-50 with the Cardinals taking the win.

This marked a new high score for the Cardinals.  Before this, the most they had scored in a single game had been 45 points.  The whole team contributed to achieve this score, with almost every player having points to their names.  Chloe Sipsas was the leading scorer for the night with 13 points.  She was closely followed by Signe Branham, Myla Lahti, and Rylee Nicoletti, who each scored 10 points.  Chloe Sipsas also lead the team in rebounds with her 12.  Natalie Knaack lead the team in both steals and assists.

The Cardinals travel to Winter on the 21st for a non-conference game leading into the break.