The student news site of South Shore School District

Pocoho News

• Good luck to the Cross Country team as their sectionals start October 20!

• Good luck to the WBS Soccer Team as their regionals start October 19!

• Picture retake day is Wednesday, November 1! Class pictures will also be taken then.

High School Track Kicks Off

Sophomore Kyler Waters, hands off the baton to freshman Douglas Hipsher, during the 4x200m relay at the home meet.

Rylee Nicoletti

Rylee Nicoletti

Morgan Rock, Reporter

As the snow starts to melt and basketball season comes to an end, another sport is added on. High School Track started their first practice on March 20th, only days after the WIAA Girls Basketball State Tournament, with the boys’ tournament the weekend of the start of track practice. To finish their season, the girls’ basketball team won a Regional Championship against Luck, but then took a loss to the Mercer Tigers in Sectionals. The boys’ basketball team finished 5th in the Indianhead Conference after a battle with Washburn at home for the fourth place, where they only lost by one point. They went on to play Bayfield in the first round of Regionals, winning 67-39. After the dominant win, they went on the road and went on to play the Luck Cardinals. The boys battled with them back and forth the whole game. After a lot of tough calls and hard fouls, Luck stole the win with made free throws, 59-48. With little time to rest, most of the basketball athletes continued their skills onto the track team.

The high school track team had their first meet at the Heart O North Conference Invitational. The meet is indoors at the Marcovich Wellness Center. Over several different teams were invited. The meet was more of a chance for the athletes to try out different events and decide which one they like the best. Since then the team has competed in 4 other meets. On Monday the 24th, the team had a meet in Hayward. There were only four teams at the Hayward meet: Hayward, South Shore/Washburn, Ironwood, and Northwestern.

The boys’ team came in 3rd place with 52 points:

Tristin Wilcox, a junior, won long jump getting 19’5″ and triple jump with a 40’9″.

The 4×800 team won first place with a time of 9:08.

Kyler Waters, a sophomore, won the 300 hurdles with a time of 44.41 seconds.

Hunter Schierman, a junior, got 5th place in the 400m dash with a time of 58.37 seconds, and 5th place in the 800m run with a time of 2:21.99.

Connor Sorenson, a junior, got 3rd in triple jump with a distance of 36ft.

Nick Botosh, a senior, got 5th in shot put with a throw of 32’10” and 4th in discus with a throw of 105’01”.

Douglas Hipsher got 5th in discus with a throw of 103’08”.

The boys’ 4x100m relay with Tad Davidson, Abe Katchka, Cody Cech, and Kevin Biolo took 4th place with a time of 57.86 seconds.

The boys’ 4x200m relay with Tad Davidson, Abe Katchka, Cody Cech, and Ben Kuettel took 4th place with a time of 2:01.69.

The girls’ team came in fourth place with 29 points:

Shauna Kavajecz, a senior, got 3rd place in the 200m dash with a time of 29.48 seconds, and 4th place in the 100m dash with a time of 14.29 seconds.

Emma Ostrenga got 2nd place in the 400m dash with a time of 1:09.84, 4th place in triple jump with a distance of 25’3″, and 3rd place in the 3200m run with a time of 13:58.31.

Tiiara Lahti, a freshman, got 3rd place in high jump with a jump 4’2″.

The girls’ 4x100m relay consisting of Emma Sauld, Maren Bulovsky, Shauna Kavajecz and Morgan Rock got 3rd place with a time of 59.80 seconds.

The 4×200 girls’ team with Emma Sauld, Maren Bulovsky, Lily Eichorst, and Morgan Rock got 4th place with a time of 2:09.68.

On the 25th of April, they went to Park Falls for the Chequamegon Invitational Meet. Here the girls’ team took 6th place with 50 points. The boys’ team took 5th place with 77.5 points. The meet started out with warm weather, but the forecast did not look promising. Eventually, it started raining for most of the meet. Once it ended the air got chilly. This was nothing new to the runners though, as they are used to the tough Wisconsin weather. Overall both teams did great considering the rough conditions and competitive/large schools that they competed against. Their next track meet is set for May 1st @ Ironwood, although the weather is set for some nasty snow. Wish them luck and hopefully the weather goes in their favor!

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

3rd & 4th Grade Earn a Pajama Day!

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

Bring On The Drama

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

Volley For a Cure: SSVB Raises over $2,000

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

Butternut & South Shore Volleyball Teams Unite in Pink

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

Myla Lahti and Abby Lahti Represent at 4H State Horse Expo

• Community

Lions, Tigers & Bears! Oh SMILE!

• Showcase

Mexico with Mrs. Greene

• High School Track Kicks Off

Showcase

Two Wins Ending in a Intense Battle For SSHS VB

• High School Track Kicks Off

News

New Year, New Social Media

• High School Track Kicks Off

Arts & Entertainment

South Shore Welcomes New Art Teacher!

High School Track Kicks Off