Fall Sports Are Back

Hunter+Schierman%2C+a+junior%2C+finishes+his+race+strong+at+the+meet+in+Bruce.+

Brigid J. Ripley

Hunter Schierman, a junior, finishes his race strong at the meet in Bruce.

Morgan Rock, Reporter

For many students who started school on Thursday, September 1, it was not their first day back in the school after the long summer. Jr-Senior high school cross country, high school girls’ volleyball, middle school girls’ basketball, and high school boys football started practice long before school did. These athletes have been putting lots of hard work and time into their fall sport. The cross country team has been working hard since August!

Cross country practice started on August 15th, for the high school team. The team consists of two girls and six boys. The students out for High School Cross Country are Rachael Teeter, Emma Ostrenga, Hayden Suo, Sawyer Schierman, Ryan Durst, Dante Ray, Hunter Schierman and Kevin Biolo. The head coach of the team is Marla Lahti, a special education teacher at the school. The assistant coach is Beth Hoagland, a science teacher at the school. The team’s practices are typically 3 mile runs within the town of Port Wing. The high school team’s first meet was August 25th, in Ashland. There were at least 20 teams at this meet. The meet was very good competition for the beginning of the season. The team is very excited for their season to kick off!

The middle school team consists of Carter Lulich, Conner Helenius, Matthew Knaack, Natalie Knaack, Beau Reijo, Abby Lahti, Maggie Ostrenga, Paige Lahti, Kiley Mueller, Leevi Tapani, Hunter Miertz, Christian Lovejoy and Alyssa Kobie (manager). Mrs. Lahti and Ms.Hoagland coach the middle school as well. The girls’ team had their first meet in Bruce, and it consisted of at least 20 different schools. The boys’ team has their first meet this Saturday near Mellen at Copper Falls. Natalie Knaack, 8th grade, from the girls middle school team comments about the sport and this season, “I like the sport of cross country because I have always had a passion for running. The outlook of the season is looking great; we have an awesome team this year.”

The cross country season is off to a great start. The varsity athletes have been to meets at Ashland and Bruce. The middle school girls had their first meet in Bruce.  Both meets had almost 20 schools in attendance.  South Shore runners demonstrated awesome determination in their races,” shared coaches Lahti and Hoagland.  Both the Middle School and High School teams have a meet on Saturday the 10th, in Copper Falls, Mellen. We wish them the best of luck!